Peterborough Utilities Inc.
Founded in 1914, the Peterborough Utilities Commission (PUC) operated in Peterborough for more than 85 years as a not-for-profit organization providing safe and reliable supplies of electricity and water to the city.
Restructured in 2000, the PUC became part of the Peterborough Utilities Group (PUG) and continues to operate as a not-for-profit organization providing safe and reliable water to the city. At the same time, a number of new companies were established within Peterborough Utilities Group:
- Peterborough Distribution Inc. to provide safe and reliable electricity to the city;
- Peterborough Utilities Services Inc. to provide services to support the operations of all of the PUG entities; and
- Peterborough Utilities Inc. to manage electrical generation and retail services.
Today, Peterborough Utilities Inc. (PUI) owns and operates several renewable electrical generation facilities, provides Meter Service Provider (MSP) and Meter Data Management Agency (MDMA) services and manages Rental Services including water heater rentals and sentinel lighting rentals.
PUI has grown its renewable generation business to become one of the leading municipally owned generators in the province. In conjunction with this growth, PUI has established a number of wholly owned subsidiary companies to own these generation assets:
- Campbellford-Seymour Electric Generation Inc.;
- Trent Rapids Power Corporation;
- Lily Lake Solar Inc.;
- Trent Energy Inc.;
- LFG Power Corporation;
- Peterborough Utilities Solar Inc.; and
- London Street Power Corporation.
Large Renewable Procurement Projects