Generic banner image for the PUI Group.

Stanley Adamson Powerhouse

In 2012, Peterborough Utilities Inc. (PUI) and Trent University agreed to establish Trent Energy Inc. (TEI) for the purpose of redeveloping, owning and operating the Stanley Adamson Powerhouse.

 Stan Adamson Powerhouse

The Stanley Adamson Powerhouse was constructed more than 100 years ago by the General Electric Company, and was previously known as the Nassau Mills Generating Station. The powerhouse was named after Stanley Robert Adamson, C.G.A., a former Vice-President of Canadian General Electric Company and a member of the founding Board of Governors of Trent College in 1957. He was active on the Trent Board of Governors from 1963 until his death in February 1985. He served as first Chairman of the Property Committee and was responsible for the University acquiring much of the Nassau Campus including the Stanley Adamson Powerhouse.

TEI completed a major upgrade of this facility in 2013.  The new ECOBulbTM  turbines were installed to replace the aging Francis turbines, increasing capacity from 1.5 MW to 3.9 MW.  The exterior shell of the original powerhouse was retained to preserve the cultural heritage of the site.

The powerhouse produces approximately 18,000 MWh of electricity annually, enough to supply approximately 1,800 homes.